Paul Smith wrote:
2. yum install lyx.

Aaaarrrrggghhh! *Never*, never, never do this if you already have TeX. Especially not if you have already carefully removed the outdated mess that is the RH kludge of tetex, and replaced it with the real tetex from the TeX Collection DVD.

yum fails to see that you already have TeX installed, so it will try to
download and install the old RH tetex all over again -- the one I so carefully got rid of when I installed FC4.

Fortunately, yum pauses before installing, to ask if this is right, so you get the chance to abort it. Someone who wrote yum needs praising for doing this, and someone needs to check about using the old RH tetex RPMs without testing first for the existence of a TeX installation.

In the process, however, I noticed that yum wanted to install
lyx-1.3.6-4.fc4.i386.rpm, not the lyx-1.3.6-1fc3_qt.i386.rpm or lyx-1.3.6-1fc3_xforms.i386.rpm which are advertised on lyx.org.
And it wants something called aiksaurus, which looks quite useful.

rpm -Uiv --nodeps happily stamped all over previous traces of LyX installations, but as expected:

var/tmp/rpm-tmp.972: line 3: texhash: command not found
error: %postun(lyx-1.3.6-1_qt.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 127
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.972: line 3: texhash: command not found
error: %postun(lyx-1.3.6-1_xforms.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 127

Even money says that the install script is hard-wired to look in wherever RH's tetex puts the texhash (and doubtless kpsewhich) binary, instead of relying on the path to pick up the right one. No matter, all is now serene.

///Peter