> >> admin priviliges. Again, you don't *need* latex installed to run LyX.
> Angus, then try to install LyX without an installed TeX system and
> try to run LyX ... ;-)

being able to run lyx without latex is IMHO a good and useful thing!

i almost decided to go with that solution on my laptop from work because
latex was so heavy and i wasn't sure it would install without admin
privileges.

running lyx without latex would have allowed me to write my thesis anywhere
using the laptop. i'm in no hurry to print it and when i do need to print it
i can always latex it from my home computer or remotely over the net...

              mamato