----- Original Message ----- From: "Angus Leeming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 2:28 AM
Subject: Re: lyx on windows (and printing notes)

Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Angus Leeming wrote:
<shrug>
You can modify the registry without admin priviliges as HKCU rather than
HKLM.
</shrug>

There are reasons that not every user is allowed to install programs. If you don't have admin privileges your employer knows in most cases why.

I'm afraid we're going to just have to disagree fundamentally once again, Uwe. It's not the installer's business to enforce such policies. The current installer runs without admin priviliges; so should yours.

A limited Win XP user can install all the helper apps. It doesn't make
sense for one installer to block LyX because of Admin rights; one can
just use the other installer. Suppose a parent has to take a six-week
business trip and wants to let his teenager install programs, but just not
eliminate the parent's programs. Why should the LyX installer eliminate
that option. On a network, the right to allow program installs or not
belongs to the sys/net admin policy adminstration, not a developer.
Because frequently, you have to ask a sysadmin to install a program
does not mean that _must_ be a rule enforced by a programmer.
The installer working this way is also not aligned with open source ideals.

But anyway, HKLM is needed to get all third-party programs running and to work together. You also need it to be able to modify or completely remove programs via Windows Installed Applications list.

Lots and lots of stuff can be installed by a local user. It's more effort on the part of the installer writer, that's all.

I think eliminating the Administrator group check and mentioning
in the Readme that Admin rights may be required is enough for LyX
will work as things are now without any extra effort. I could use
Add/Remove programs with LyX as a limited user; besides it says
from the Windows XP Program Files/ User Accounts :

"Pick an Account Type
_                                       _
|_| Computer administrator  |_| Limited

With a limited account, you can:

*Change or remove your password
*Change your picture, theme, and other desktop settings
*View Files you created
*View Files in the Shared Documents Folder

Users with limited accounts cannot always install programs.

Depending on the program, a user might need administrator
privileges to install it.
Also, programs designed prior to Windows VP or Windows 2000
might not work properly with limited accounts. For best results,
choose programs bearing the Designed For Windows VP logo, or,
to run older programs, choose the
"computer administrator account type."

SH: That seems like enough warning to me. Why should LyX require administrator privileges when MikTeX doesn't?!

Angus

Regards,
Stephen