Declan O'Byrne wrote:

One thing I cannot do, and I've spent quite a few hours trying, is position
imported graphics within a slide. A picture is less than helpful when it
covers the slide's text. I've tried importing as jpeg and eps. No use.

All I really need is to be able to define the bounding box in the bottom
right hand side of the slide. If I can do that, then it should be simply a
matter of resizing the picture. But I cannot find an account anywhere of how
to achieve this. By using \includegraphics I get the picture in, by defining
width and height, I define the size.  How do I define the position within
the slide?

Not sure if this answers your question, but ...

First, position the cursor where you want the image and click Insert->Graphics... In the Graphics tab, browse to locate the file. Use the Output portion of the tab to size the image (either in absolute or percentage terms).

Click on the Clipping tab. Here you can clip the image by entering a bounding box (coordinates of the bottom left and top right corners of the visible area).

To position the image horizontally, once it's properly sized, used Layout->Paragraph...->General->Alignment. If you need finer positioning control, you might consider using a table or splitting the slide into multiple columns.

Does that help?

/Paul