Thanks. for this.  I think your instructions apply to lyx. But I'm
attempting to do the same thing in kile.
I suppose if I knew how to define the position according to
coordinates, I'd be better off. I just want the pictures to "grow"
from the bottom right hand side of the slide.
What are the coordinates of a slide? How are they defined?
What is, for example, the bottom left?
The bottom right?
The top left?
The top right?
The centre?

I should be able to work from there.
Unless there's an easier way to do it.  I see that latex speaks about
"center," but it won't let me choose "right".

Thanks again,

Declan