On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, David Neeley wrote:

Comments within

On 6/12/06, Steve Litt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Why can't the original author label his or her contribution as "Licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 2", or similar. Layout files are code, so the GPL fits them well. Speaking for myself, I'd be hesitant to contribute anything without GPL'ling it, because some licenses leave open the door for a big bad company to change my layout just a little bit and take it proprietary, and who knows, some day sue me for using code derived from their code, and then I have to prove that mine preceded theirs.

<snip>

There is a considerable debate, as you probably know, about whether the GPL is a good idea for areas such as these in which a layout may be used to create commercial documents. That is why I would suggest something like the BSD approach that permits commercial use.

<snip>

Finally, it is unlikely that layout files themselves would be an issue--since the objective is the documents created with that layout file and not the layout file itself. I really think that this discussion is largely the result of worry over what is very unlikely to happen to begin with--but a reasonable application of a license is certainly not a bad idea at all.

This is issue is apparently a bit complicated. However, I think it was a good idea to emphasize that wiki authors are free to license their work as they see fit, especially any files they upload. So, for the page

        http://wiki.lyx.org/Site/Copyrights

What do you about adding a paragraph such as this:

        Please note that contributors are free to license uploaded
        material as they see fit. So if you wish to upload layout examples
        under some specific license, please do so.

I'd be grateful for comments about this, and also about the text in general on http://wiki.lyx.org/Site/Copyrights - I'm not sure it's that thought through really (or legal for that matter...)

/Christian