On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

Any suggestions or pointers on creating good graphics to be used by LyX
that will print well for a book?

Jeremy,

  I'm far from a graphics expert, but I know that .eps files easily integrate
into a .lyx document and look great in a professionally printed book -- or a
locally printed one using the laser printer. I've also integrated .pdf files
and they work very well, too.

  I did not like the results when I tried a .png image.

  Since SVG is vector format, and so is .eps, it may be possible to get
Inkscape to produce the latter directly. Otherwise, 'convert' will do its
magic on the image.

HTH,

Rich