Ed Gatzke wrote:

So, cmd.exe and command.exe when started from Start->Run both do not respond to
Alt-F4 for me either.  Other things started from cmd.exe command prompt do
listen to Alt F4 c:\windows\system32\winmine.exe and dvdplay.exe both respond to
Alt-F4.

I run most of my stuff from a cygwin shell, but everything closes on Alt-F4
except cmd.exe and lyx.exe.  Even when I start lyx from the desktop shortcut, it
does not respond to Alt-F4.  Even when I double click on the cmd.exe in
windows/system32 it does not respond to F4.

I have tried cmd.exe on about 6 xp machines, Alt-F4 does nothing on any of them
for cmd.exe.

I finally got around to trying this on my home PC, which runs XP Home rather than XP Pro. Under XP Home, alt-F4 did *not* kill cmd.exe. On my laptop (XP Pro), it does. I haven't had a chance to try the XP Pro machine in my office (as I'm assiduously avoiding going anywhere near the office).

The exact lyx installer is the most recent, the 2.0 installer for 1.41

lyxwininstall/LyxWin141Complete-2.01.exe

Even just running lyx.exe (not lyx.bat) appears to open a shell for a second
before the application launches... Very odd, I wonder what is up.  Maybe the
shell is the root of all problems with Alt-F4.

I'm not sure what goes on in that fleeting shell, but according to the task manager I use, when you run lyx.exe directly it is not running in a shell. LyX does, however, make extensive use of shell scripts (for converting graphics, running the configuration script, etc.), so it may be running some quick script at that point.

This stuff is crazy.   I tried posting on some MS "help" pages, and the "MS
experts" suggested I use Alt-Space then C, which breaks the standard that Alt-F4
closes everything, like hitting the big red X.

I agree it's strange, but as far back as I can remember, Microsoft's insistence that third-party developers adhere to their rules for Windows programs has not extended to their own programmers. Nor have they been philosophically consistent. Thus Windows 3.x came with an FTP client that had a GUI, but Windows 95/98 et seq. come only with a DOS FTP client -- even though Microsoft has been trying to phase out DOS in the last few iterations of Windows.

I'm quite curious why you and Steve and I get three different behavior patterns from ostensibly the same OS. (I'm assuming that you and Steve are both using XP Pro, fully patched.)

/Paul