Paul A. Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Eric Inazaki wrote:
>
> Did it give you a message about not finding class files?  There have
> been instances where LyX installed properly but the configuration script
> failed, and subsequently LyX would not start because it could not find
> the requisite configuration information.  (But it would at least display
> the GUI and cough up a message to that effect.)

Right after I installed lyx, it spent a lot of time downloading stuff.
They looked like template files, might have class files, I wasn't paying
that close attention.  And it may or may not have been lyx that was doing
the downloading, could've been MikTeX which I installed at about the
same time.  (The dialog boxes didn't say what program they were affiliated
with).

After all that was done (as near as I could tell), I would go to Start->
Programs and click on "lyx" then a command window would pop up for about
a half-second, disappear and that's all she wrote.

> > A suggestion, if lyx really does have a problem being installed in
> > "Program Files" then it'd be nice if that fact were well publicized
> > (I found no mention of it on the lyx homepage, nor on the wiki).
> > Also, when I did it, the default installation directory was
> > "C:\Program Files", this should probably be changed.
>
> Really?  On my systems, I think it defaulted to C:\Program Files\lyx14
>   (not positive, since I changed from the default).
>
> By the way, were you logged in with administrator permissions when you
> attempted the installation?

Well, yeah okay "C:\Program Files\lyx<something-or-other>".  And yes,
I did this as the admin.

So you're saying that you could install and run lyx at the "Program Files"
directory, out of the box, with no problems and without having to futz
around with anything?

eric