Georg Baum schrieb:
> Sven Schreiber wrote:
>

> You have to make sure that the latin1 locale is installed. How to do that is
> in the list archives. You do _not_ need to change your locale to latin1 (by
> setting LANG and/or LC_* variables), LyX will do that internally, but the
> locale must of course be available.

Turns out that apparently on ubuntu dapper (6) it's not so easy to get
iso8859 locales. What's in the mailing list (taken from debian) does
_not_ work, dapper only gives you utf8. I had to edit files like
/horrible_path_to/supported.d/de (de for German in my case), then I got
de_DE.iso88591 (and btw also the euro/15 variant) with locale -a, but
still no success with lyx menus.

In the end I installed localeconf and switched the default locale to
iso-8859-15. (don't forget to log off and on again) Until I get around
to brushing up my Russian, that should do...

So the 8859-locale is installed, but it doesn't work with lyx if the
system locale is de_DE.utf8. I don't really understand why?

>> Also, I found some ubuntu tool to convert the locale to utf-8. Would
>> that help, or would it make things worse?
>
> I don't know what that means.

By now I guess that's for people upgrading from ubuntu 5 (presumably w/o
utf8-locales).

-sven