On 15 Dec, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Georg Baum wrote:

Yes. If you don't want to compile the child documnt separately then delete the preamble of the child document. If you want to compile it separately then it is better to put the preamble into a separate .tex file and only
have

\include{preamble.tex}

in both the main and child doc, because you cannot get inconsistent
preambles this way.

I have a related question:

I am working on a book that will eventually have to be typeset in various formats (i.e., double-spaced for reviewers, with publishers specs, etc). I work on the single chapters individually and I need to typeset them as such in my own, proof-like kind of format. My strategy so far has been to have different master documents (which only contain include statements) with different preambles corresponding to the different book formats, and yet a different preamble for the single chapters. Here is the question: will the preambles of the individual chapters be completely ignored once they are included in the master document, or is it advisable to erase the child preambles when typesetting the master document (as Georg seems to hint)? Since the latter option is obviously quite cumbersome, this gives rise to a further question: is my strategy completely silly and if so are there better ways to solve with this problem?

Thanks for the help,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland                  Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
Private Bag 92019                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Auckland
New Zealand