Hi Jürgen,
thanks for your answer ;-)

Actually I'm using LyX-1.5.0beta.

I copied your text in my local layouts file (obviously wihtout the '> 's

> CharStyle Fboxed_Code
>       LatexType             Command
>       LatexName             fboxedcode
>       LabelFont
>         Family              Roman
>         Color               blue
>       EndFont
>         Preamble
>            \newcommand{\fboxedcode}[1]{
>              \fbox{\texttt{\small%
>              #1%
>              } }% texttt fbox
>            }
>        EndPreamble
> End

Then I ran reconfigure.
After eliminating the entries for my old Style (\begin_layout ...) by
changing them to 'Standard'
I opened the document, marked some strings and chose the CharStyle
Fboxed_Code which is now available.
(>>Edit >CharStyle, in my german Version it is >>Bearbeiten >Textstil)

The selected string seemed to be put in a box which is somewaht longer
than needed, underlined in red and marked beneeth in red
'Undef.: Fboxed'
Creating the PDF, it seems to have no effect at all.

Fortunately I tried with the CahrStyle name 'Fboxed' throwing away the
part '_Code'. So I learn not to use '_' in the name of a CharStyle.

This works perfectly, exactly what I had in mind.

Thank you very much.

Is this feature already described in the documentation?
I grepped for CharStyle in the doc directory but didn't get any result.

BTW Trying to produce a PDF from the user handbook LyX ran into an error
 seemingly when processing the special symbols table (shortly after the
'Compose'-Explanation. The LaTeX protocol mentiones some lacking '}'

I profit from the opportunity to thank the developpers team for the work
you are doing. LyX is really the best text processing software I have
come across. I like the photograph of the LyX-Team whcih pops up when I
call LyX without a filename. Would you mind to explain who's who?

Thanks again

Hellmut

--
Dr. Hellmut Weber         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Degenfeldstraße 2         tel   +49-89-3081172