Jean Kaplan writes:

> I found a solution to reduce (or increase) the size of math previews
> on the lyx screen (at least for mac os X 10.4.9, mac ppc):
> Go to the menu item "Preferences->Look and feel-> screen fonts",
> decrease (or increase) the "Screen DPI" and save this changes the
> size of math previews without changing the size of the text. To see
> the result you have to quit lyx and start again, the button "apply"
> does not seem to work for this item.
> A tip to get the math preview size adequate to the text : write a
> math formula including an \mbox{ some text }, then proceed by trial
> and error.

I don't know whether fiddling with "Screen DPI" is the right thing to do.
You can control the size of math previews by adding the following line:

\preview_scale_factor 0.9

to either the user preferences or the global lyxrc.dist file. There is
no gui for this, so you have to add that line by using a text editor.
Change the 0.9 value (which is the default) to whatever fits you.

--
Enrico