Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Engelmann schrieb:

I am asking for experiences and hints from those of you who have introduced LyX to interested people. I have done it several times but am not content with the way I did it so far. The main task is -as I see it- to 1- make people see the advantages of LaTeX over other prg´s and the advantages of LyX in respect to LaTeX. 2- show them briefly how to work with LyX. Since the help files of LyX are excellent, I would not waste time to go into details, but rather present a few examples (How to write a book/Thesis). 3- would instead make sure that those who decide to try it out, do succeed in installing LyX. I will therefore offer a Knoppix/Debian based life CD with LyX, JabRef bib manager for booting the PC/notebook, and point to sources where the permanent installation is described for the different operating systems and Linux versions.

I would appreciate further ideas, infos and hints.

I would do this task (and have it done once) in a similar way. Regarding the installation, at least the windows installer is really excellent, as you have only one setup process to install everything what is needed for running LyX (including MikTeX and JabRef, e.g.).

Regards,
Dominik.-