To all who have responded to my enquiries, thank you very much.  This posting
details my experiences, and should assist others to both provide such further
assistance as will make it possible for me to effectively use LyX, and also
should
find utility in the development of LyX documentation.

Again, I must use the LNCS class/LaTeX 2e tools in order to submit the paper I
am writing for a conference proceedings volume.  I want to use the LyX
interface,
expecting that doing so will ease the learning curve burden, and so speed my
acquisition of TeX skills.  My host OS is Windows XP v2002 SP2, and I used the
LyX-154-3-22-AltInstaller-Complete.exe file.

I have not been able to use the LNCS .cls and .sty files which are supplied by
Springer-Verlag, in their downloadable .zip file having the name llncs2e.zip

The zip file contains:

>The files in this directory belong to the LaTeX2e package for
>Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) of Springer-Verlag.
>
>It consists of the following files:
>
>  history.txt        the version history of the package
>
>  llncs.cls          the LaTeX2e document class
>
>  llncs.dem          the sample input file
>
>  llncs.doc          the documentation of the class (LaTeX source)
>  llncsdoc.pdf       the documentation of the class (PDF version)
>  llncsdoc.sty       the modification of the class for the documentation
>  llncs.ind          an external (faked) author index file
>  subjidx.ind        subject index demo from the Springer book package
>  llncs.dvi          the resultig DVI file (remember to use binary transfer!)
>
>  sprmindx.sty       supplementary style file for MakeIndex
>                     (usage: makeindex -s sprmindx.sty <yourfile.idx>)
>
>  splncs.bst         BibTeX style for use with llncs.cls

I have searched, including by means of the automated tool applet supplied
with Windows, and not been able to find any reference to LOCALTEXMF
under any condition of case sensitivity.  When I look under the Roots tab
of the MiKTeX settings application, I find just four directories mentioned:

user config:  \Documents and Settings\wrb\Application Data\MiKTeX2.7
             directory does not actually exist
user data:    \Documents and Settings\wrb\Local Settings\Application
Data\MiKTeX2.7    \miktex\config\FNDB files
common:     \Documents and Settings\AllUsers.WINXP\Application Data\MiKTeX2.7
    various sub-directories
install:         \Program Files\MiKTeX2.7

I have made no change to the MiKTeX2.7 installation.  It is as it was prepared,
by
my use of the complete alternate install of LyX 1.5.4

In none of these directories do I find any reference to LOCALTEXMF.

I did find adjacent to the <user config> directory a reference to LyX15, and in
that
directory one may find a file called textclass.lst, within which one finds the
following
lines:

"article" "article" "article" "true"

"llncs" "springer" "article (Springer LNCS)" "false"

about which illuminating discussion is welcome.

Actually, it is likely that I am mistaken regarding changes to MiKTeX,
particularly
with regard to the above reference to llncs.  I did try to make the suggested
changes
that are associated with Refresh FNDB.  If that refresh updated the above llncs
reference, then there is a change; otherwise not.

Some of the suggestions that Paul A. Rubin made seem more appropriate to *nix
systems - a shorthand that I appreciate, I might add.

Translation between *nix notions of file structure and naming and the same for
Windows adds confusion to this process, at least for me.  I don't find the
available
documentation to provide enough answers for me to get this thing working without
the assistance of others.  Perhaps this experience will provide valuable source
material for additional documentation, which I will be happy to assist writing.

I have been able to start with the default document (I think, by using New
from the File menu), and to add the suggested \usepackage{llncs}
statement in the LaTeX Preamble.  So, I get something, and maybe
what I should be getting.  However, I am not starting with the .cls
file, nor a .layout file, which is what I though LyX was supposed to
start with:  a basic file, augmented with a selected layout file.

Oh well, so the learning goes.

So, what I need to understand now are the class files, and how it is
related to a layout file, and how those are related to the .lyx files that
are loaded by LyX.

I look forward to learning more about LyX.  Your suggestions are warmly
welcomed.

wrb