On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 1:50 AM, William R. Buckley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I have not been able to use the LNCS .cls and .sty files which are supplied
> by
>  Springer-Verlag, in their downloadable .zip file having the name llncs2e.zip
>
>  The zip file contains:
>
>  >The files in this directory belong to the LaTeX2e package for
>  >Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) of Springer-Verlag.
>  >
>  >It consists of the following files:
>  >
>  >  history.txt        the version history of the package
>  >
>  >  llncs.cls          the LaTeX2e document class
>  >
>  >  llncs.dem          the sample input file
>  >
>  >  llncs.doc          the documentation of the class (LaTeX source)
>  >  llncsdoc.pdf       the documentation of the class (PDF version)
>  >  llncsdoc.sty       the modification of the class for the documentation
>  >  llncs.ind          an external (faked) author index file
>  >  subjidx.ind        subject index demo from the Springer book package
>  >  llncs.dvi          the resultig DVI file (remember to use binary
> transfer!)
>  >
>  >  sprmindx.sty       supplementary style file for MakeIndex
>  >                     (usage: makeindex -s sprmindx.sty <yourfile.idx>)
>  >
>  >  splncs.bst         BibTeX style for use with llncs.cls
>
>  I have searched, including by means of the automated tool applet supplied
>  with Windows, and not been able to find any reference to LOCALTEXMF
>  under any condition of case sensitivity.  When I look under the Roots tab
>  of the MiKTeX settings application, I find just four directories mentioned:
>
>  user config:  \Documents and Settings\wrb\Application Data\MiKTeX2.7
>                 directory does not actually exist
>  user data:    \Documents and Settings\wrb\Local Settings\Application
> Data\MiKTeX2.7    \miktex\config\FNDB files
>  common:     \Documents and Settings\AllUsers.WINXP\Application
> Data\MiKTeX2.7       various sub-directories
>  install:         \Program Files\MiKTeX2.7
>
>  I have made no change to the MiKTeX2.7 installation.  It is as it was
> prepared, by
>  my use of the complete alternate install of LyX 1.5.4
>
>  In none of these directories do I find any reference to LOCALTEXMF.

I prefer to set up my own 'localtexmf directory' as MiKTeX tells you
not to put your own .cls files or .sty files within their default
directories as updates may delete them.

Having said that. To set up your own "localtexmf' directory create a
folder structure as follows (you can put the texmf folder anywhere you
prefer; however, the folder structure beyond texmf must be followed):

C:\Documents and Settings\username\texmf\tex\latex
C:\Documents and Settings\username\texmf\tex\bibtex\bib
C:\Documents and Settings\username\texmf\tex\bibtex\bst

Then you can put the .cls files and .sty files under the newly created
latex folder and the .bst file under the newly created bst folder. You
can also create additional folders under these for organization
purposes if you want.

Now go to the MiKTeX settings and create a new Root folder to:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\texmf

Now if you "Refresh FNDB" the .cls, .sty, and .bst files should be
installed on your system and recognized by MiKTeX.

>  I did find adjacent to the <user config> directory a reference to LyX15, and
> in that
>  directory one may find a file called textclass.lst, within which one finds
> the following
>  lines:
>
>  "article" "article" "article" "true"
>
>  "llncs" "springer" "article (Springer LNCS)" "false"

The LyX layout files are found in:

C:\Program Files\LyX15\Resources\layouts

In this folder there is already a llncs.layout so you're in luck!!!!
This layout specifies article (Springer LNCS) as the name in LyX under
Document->Settings->Document Class. So, if you start LyX and
reconfigure and then reopen LyX that layout should now be 'available'
and you should be ready to go. Sometimes I've had to reconfigure and
reopen two times. Another way to see if LyX is recognizing your .cls,
.sty, and .bst files is to look under Tools->TeX Information and see
if it is listed. You can also 'Recan' and see if that brings them up.
However, a simple 'reconfigure' and restarting of LyX should work.

>  I look forward to learning more about LyX.  Your suggestions are warmly
>  welcomed.
>
>  wrb

Cheers,
/Bob