On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:29:49 +0100
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Re: Using a network printer

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Les Denham wrote:

 Perhaps this is exactly the problem Paul has encountered: the error
 message gives the impression it is a printer problem, whereas the real
 problem is the difference between latex and pdflatex.

That could be his problem, but mine is that the network printer which I can use from other programs does not appear when trying to print from LyX. If we then recommend users to print through one of the viewers, I'm not sure we should keep File->Print. Or maybe we should have:
        File->Print->pdflatex
        File->Print->PS
Just a thought (I don't think it makes sense spending a lot of time making print to work directly from LyX when it works via viewers).

Maybe it'd be an idea to put a tip in the print dialog, that recommends the user to print via a viewer?

<snip> distribution, you might get short-hopped by the differences. I always try to print from a viewer looking at the final distribution version.

A restriction to print exclusively through viewers breaks lyx! There are circumstances where printing an exported ps file makes sense (e.g., multiple collated copies, transmit). Under most circumstances, a keyboard shortcut or a print icon (or using a menu) produces COMMON SENSE result. An editor/text processor that is the only one on the planet that won't conduct a friendly hand shake with the print layer of sofware is not going to be very popular.

(Don't emulate MS -- How many MS engineers does it take to change a light bulb? None. MS declares darkness the standard.)

Mark Hansel