[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, Mark Hansel wrote:

A restriction to print exclusively through viewers breaks lyx! There are circumstances where printing an exported ps file makes sense (e.g., multiple collated copies, transmit).

All of that can be done through viewers.

I don't think anyone proposes that we remove the ability to produce .ps-files... Personally, I think it'd be nice to be able to rpint directly from LyX.

Out of curiosity, why?

I print my documents on a Postscript-capable laser printer, and I've never bothered printing from LyX, because I always review the rendered document in a viewer before printing it. If I need to print an existing document without editing it, I generally have a copy of the final rendered version already available, so why re-render it? And if I don't, I'd just as soon run LyX in batch mode to produce one, than go through the GUI.

> The question as I see it is if it's worth spending
time trying to fix bugs in LyX that are related to printing. (And that are probably specific to the GNU/Linux distribution etc)

The worst one isn't: File > Print simply doesn't make sense, and that's true on all platforms. The design is broken. LyX supports multiple back ends, and as long as that's true, File > Print is at best ambiguous. At worst, it's simply broken, for example if I have pdflatex-specific packages or commands in my document (in the preamble or in ERT).

At the very least, the menu item should be named something like "Print (Postscript)" or "Print (dvips)". An unqualified "Print" menu action isn't meaningful for LyX.

--
Michael Wojcik