On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

The white background of usual text processors hurts my eyes.

  That's a very common complaint. The brightness of large white backgrounds
apparently make very subtle flickers apparent to the brain even when we do
not consciously notice them. I find looking at white backgrounds tiring
rather than painful, so the applications in which I tend to spend most of my
day are configured as white text on black backgrounds (console apps like
pine, slrn, emacs) or black text on cream/off-white backgrounds (gui apps
such as lyx and firefox).

  If the background is comparatively small, and common areas of the page
have a different background (e.g., a soothing shade of blue), that is much
less tiring or painful.

  There is probably research available on the web on the appropriate colors
(and combinations of colors) that most people find easy on the eyes,
attractive, and inviting to view.

  A number of years ago I attended a couple of (free) half-day seminars on
the use of color in computer-assisted presentations (Beamer class, for
example). It was fascinating, highly educational, and extremely useful. The
colors used affect the mood of the audience (e.g., reds and yellows generate
excitement and raise tension while blues and greys are calming), and their
subconscious impression of professionalism (muted blues, greys, maroons)
versus avant-garde, "arty" (bright reds, greens, yellows).

  I favor professional, calming, confidence-boosting colors. They also lend
credibility to the written message.

Rich