> William R. Buckley schrieb:
>
> > If the speed with which LaTeX could operate were such that output
> > could be produced and displayed within the timeframe of a human
> > keystroke (for fun, lets say you're a really good 150 wpm
> typist), how
> > would this differ from WYSIWYG?
>
> WYSIWYM only works when you trust the LaTeX machine to
> produce the best possible output. This seems the problem you
> habe. For the LyX users its THE advantage:
> You e.g. add a caption and you don't have to take care about
> it later. When the publisher tells you later that you should
> have italic captions, it is only one preamble entry away;
> when you use another document class, the caption layout is
> automatically changed according to the class rules. This is
> very useful when you are writing for several publishing
> companies. Most of the companies provide their own document
> class, all you have to do in LyX is to use the document class
> of your publisher and the text gets formatted as it should.
> This would not be possible with WYSIWYG.
>
> But anyway, the things you complain about are design things
> of LaTeX, not LyX. LyX is a frontend to LaTeX to be able to
> write texts without the need to learn LaTeX. The concept of
> LaTeX has been proven to be THE choice for publishing
> companies all over the world: Nearly all scientific stuff,
> books as well as journals, are typeset using LaTeX (or
> pdfTeX, omega, etc.), even when you send your text to them as
> Word-file.
>
> > What I find missing is knobs.  I
> > guess I have to get used to working without knobs.  Ventura
> Publisher
> > has lots of knobs to its user interface, really powerful knobs.
>
> I don't know what exactly you are missing. LyX provides you
> countless options and settings in all areas. But while
> reading your post again, it seems that you decided to use
> Ventura Publisher, before testing out LyX carefully. Many of
> your questions are obsolete when you read LyX's Intro manual
> and the Tutorial. The LyX UserGuide is a perfect document to
> see what output can be produced and how it can be produced.
> But while comparing programs, can Ventura handle
> nomenclatures, bilbiographies, and indexes? From all programs
> I know to publish books, LyX has the most powerful features
> for indexes and bibliographies.

Don't know what a *nomenclature* is with regard to publishing.
As for the others, like bibliographies and indexes, yes, Ventura
Publisher handles these quite well.

Like I suggested, Ventura Publisher would alone be sufficient
to produce the Encyclopedia Britannica, and quickly so.  I take
it that experienced LyX users would say the same about LyX.

And, no, I did not review LyX first.  I've been using Ventura
Publisher for more than twenty years.

LyX has its charms and its challenges, just like any other tool.

Finally, at this point, I am having no difficulty converting my
document from Ventura Publisher to LaTeX via LyX.  I'm not
always comfortable with using LyX but, it is quickly becoming
as effortless as is Ventura Publisher.

wrb