I agree with the point that TeX has deep integration with bibliographic
stores, and that is not well served in Ventura Publisher.  But, for all
that has been incorporated within the publication, things get real easy.
Glossaries, lists of figures, lists of tables, cross-references, you name
it.

I don't really use all this power, since most of what I write are academic
publications.

The only complaint I have with Ventura Publisher is, well two complaints,
it does not output or input LaTeX, and Corel Corporation has effectively
abandoned the product.

In truth, much as I love Ventura Publisher, the lack of product development
on the part of Corel means that I must seek other tools.  LyX will probably
be the choice I make.  I am effectively there already.