It is unreasonable to expect the entire Windows using community
to avoid a mechanism that is part of the Windows operating system.
The proper solution, distasteful as it may be, is to implement code
which facilitates this *hack* (I always think of a hack as a desirable
gem of programming prowess, but I digress).  Otherwise, you have
a product that does not really work in the Windows world.

wrb