Actually, I go back to IBM 370/155 days, the first computer for
which I wrote programs, and the language was APL.  Heck, I
have a PDP 11/34a with core and a 2.9BSD license.  And, just
to state my political position, FreeBSD is the real thing and
wish it had taken root instead of Linux.  On the other hand, I
am much more open to other operating systems, and list among
those I have used the oddities like Irix, and the strange extensions
of C to be found in the VAX world.

As for the use of LyX, I made merely an observation of behavior,
and gave counsel (apparently rejected) as to the value of changing
the behavior of a tool.  I am all for leaving the behavior as is, with
the caveat that it be documented, so that others will know of this
limitation in interfacing, between operating system behavior and
tool expectation.  That you find it insulting suggests a degree of
intolerance warranting others to curb their offerings of observations.
Is that really what you want?

As to the paper, I did mention not long ago that
I had no more questions.  It might have occurred to you
that my reason for having no more questions is that I have
largely completed the task set, producing the paper, and
finding myself now in minor changes to font character, like
boldness, and italics, and slant (don't understand the
difference with italics), etc.  Still have not found strike-though,
nor underscore (these go the length of a field of characters,
like a word, a sentence, or a paragraph, such as you typically
find in the text of laws to be changed by the initiative process,
with strike-through indicating text to be deleted).  But, I don't
need these; just notice that they are not in the same place as
the bold, italic, etc.

This means that Ventura Publisher remains useful to me
when in the Windows world, and LyX remains useful to me
in the Windows world.

Finally, I have been building my computers since the 1970s,
and when I want more than one operating system on a box,
I use removable hard drives.  Would prefer the high dollar
stuff, hot swappable and all that but, powering down, swapping
a bay, and powering up is a good alternative to layers and
layers of abstraction software.  Makes my life simpler.

The only reason that I used LyX on Windows is that you make
it an offering.  I could easily have used it on another computer,
one with FreeBSD or Linux (some redhat variation).

I am reminded of the biblical warning, of not casting pearls.

wrb