rgheck wrote:
Michael Wojcik wrote:

I don't think this is a bug in Qt, though arguably it's a missing feature. Shortcuts are not first-class filesystem objects in Windows. They're files that are treated in a special manner by Windows Explorer.

LyX uses Qt for its file dialogs, etc, so if this doesn't work correctly, it's got to do with Qt, bugs or otherwise.

Agreed, though it would be good to know why people report different behavior in different dialogs, and different behavior on different systems. It's conceivable that something LyX is doing is either triggering a Qt bug in some circumstances (which might be avoidable), or at least causing differing behavior where we could be consistent.

If I weren't in the middle of about a zillion other things I'd grab the current sources and take a look. (Maybe over the summer I'll finally get a chance to dig into the LyX source.)

Though, pace William, the *real* problem, as I wrote above, is that shortcuts are not part of the Windows OS. They're purely an application-layer artifact. Certainly not all Windows programs handle them the way William would like. (Windows users can try cd'ing across a shortcut in a shell window - no go. cd'ing across junctions works just fine, however, because they *are* first-class filesystem objects.)

--
Michael Wojcik