On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, G. Milde wrote:

Ipe <http://tclab.kaist.ac.kr/ipe> is a Qt based vector drawing app that
uses LaTeX for text.

  When I started looking at vector graphics applications for linux I stopped
counting at 17. I tried ipe; it's nice but didn't make my final cut.

You might consider using the psfrag LaTeX package for this. It can replace
alphanumeric labels in eps files with LaTeX constructs defined in the
including document. (Drawback: it does not work with pdflatex.)

  In addition to PyX (for which I have developed a great affinity in the
past couple of weeks), I strongly recommend PSTricks. Herbert's two chapters
in the second edition of The LaTeX Graphics Companion provide all the
knowledge one needs to start.

  Of course, that book is also valuable for Metapost and all the other
vector apps that are integrated with LaTeX.

Rich