On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Uwe Stöhr wrote:

You mix "fonts" and "font shapes".

  It seems a very common misconception. Too many people use the word 'font'
when they refer to 'typeface.' A 'font' is a particular typeface (Palatino,
Amerigo, Bookman), shape (Roman, Slant, Italic), weight (normal, bold,
thin), and size (10pt, 11pt, 12pt). That's why you'll see so many entries in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ with the same family name.

  In the days when all printed documents were hand-set with metal type,
typesetters had many large wooden trays, each with numerous small
compartments (one for each character in that font set). Each tray contained
a single font.

  Now, with computers doing all the work, we've lost sight of the
distinctions in terms, call everything a 'font,' and end up
miscommunicating.

  In most documents, only two typefaces are used: a serif typeface as the
body text and a san-serif typeface as the headline (part, chapter, section,
etc.) text. Within the body text, emphasis is usually by changing the shape
to Italic or slant (if the former is not available). Bold and underline are
not used. (Take a look at a newspaper, book, or magazine and see if you can
find bold or underlined text used.) Underlined text is a hold-over from
typewriter days, and I suspect (but do not know) that bold is the creation
of the earlier word processors (e.g., Wang and those on monochrome-monitored
PCs) that could not display Italic fonts. Current word processors (Wurd,
OO.o., AbiWord) continue to provide these typographic oddities, and writers
continue to use them.

  If we all use typographic terms with precision we'll communicate much more
clearly and effectively.

Your local curmudgeon,

Rich