Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

It would appear that on May 1, Marcelo Acuña did say:

koma-script book have more options for fonts sizes.
regards

Well that is interesting. A quick goggle search on koma-script
leads me to believe that it's a comprehensive package that I'm unlikely
to use until/unless it becomes a default package configuration by the
implementations of LyX included in the default repositories of the
various linux distros I use. (#see below)

koma-script is a standard part of texlive, which is a popular tex
distribution for some linux distributions.

But thanks for the suggestion. Incidentally if I should ever get the time
to actually install koma-script to one or more of my LyX installations,
will I be able to use it to easily increase/decrease the relative font
sizes of an entire existing document without all the individual
resizing I described in my initial post???

  # I use multiple linux distros in self defense, I seldom
  # break more than one of them at a time, and keeping at
  # least 3 in my grub boot menu gives me a good chance to
  # continue doing what I NEED to until I get the time to
  # reinstall whatever distro I broke... Or at least it's rare
  # that the same functions and or applications are broke on
  # all of them at the same time.
#
If you have debian, then this should be easy. You never reinstall
debian, just upgrade it. The package management system is
good enough to keep the same install going for a decade.

If you have debian, then "apt-get install texlive-latex-recommended"
is what you need to get koma-script. Simple enough, unless
you have an old debian with tetex. If so, a lot of packages will
be replaced and some customization will have to be re-done.

  # Keeping multiple distro's even reasonably up to date is
  # hard without depending heavily on package management tools
If you have debian (or ubuntu, which is based on debian)
then you definitely  want to use package management tools
to keep it up to date. It is then easy enough:
apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade
These two commands keeps debian up to date.

As for printing a document with different font sizes:
The normal way is to select a different font size.
If that is not possible, then you can redefine
the font sizes latex use ( \small, \big, \footnotesize,
and so on. There are a couple of handfuls of these, no more.
If you redefine these, then the whole document changes accordingly.

This way is some work, but it is definitely less than changing *every*
paragraph in a big document. The amount of work is independent of
document size, no more work for a long book than for a 3-page report.

Helge Hafting