Folks,

I am a new LyX user, and have a very basic question.  I am using Lyx 1.5.1
under Ubuntu 7.10.  I believe the TeX system is TeXLive.

I created a new document (of class article), wrote a few lines in it, and
then wanted to make a PDF.  I selected View > PDF (pdflatex), and then
looked at the resulting document in Evince.  It seems to have two problems
(as least, problems for me).  First, the paper size is A4, and I would
prefer Letter.  Second, it seems to be using bitmap fonts (Postscript Type
3, I think), rather than outline fonts.  I tried to fix the A4 problem by
setting the paper size in Document > Settings... to "Letter" and then
re-making the PDF, but it still seems to be A4.  I tried the two other ways
of producing PDFs, dvipdfm and ps2pdf, and both solve the page size problem,
but not the bitmap font problem.  Nevertheless, I like the fact that
pdflatex goes directly from the source LaTeX file to a PDF, so it would be
nice to get the page size right with pdflatex...

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix these things?

Thanks in advance,
Adam