On 02.05.2008, at 23:08, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Rich Shepard wrote:
On Fri, 2 May 2008, David A. Case wrote:
1. an article with Document->Page layout set to "US Letter" (and Document->Page Margins is set to "default") is likely to come out of pdflatex as A4 (unless, unlike me, you know enough LaTeX configuration stuff to configure pdflatex to
do something different).
 Not for me. If I set the pagesize as letter, it comes out that size
regardless of compiler used.

Same here, but that may be because I have MiKTeX's default paper size set to "letter". When you do as Dave said (select letter size in LyX but keep default margins), LyX emits \documentclass[letterpaper,english]{article} (give or take the language) and, barring some other reason to call it, doesn't load geometry. If you use nondefault margins, LyX adds a call to the geometry package for the margins and moves the paper size argument to the geometry call. I vaguely recall a problem with pdflatex ignoring paper size in the document options but paying attention to the geometry settings.

Now whether LyX should force a call to geometry just to set the paper size is another question. Does geometry conflict with any other LaTeX packages?

Well, at least it does not seem to work to well with some document classes. In the identical case I consulted the list on a couple of months ago (http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg58912.html ) geometry did not only change the paper size, but also the margins and many other elements of the page layout. Probably this is because the ACM LaTeX classes are crappy, but well, many people have to use them.

Daniel