David A. Case wrote:
On Fri, May 02, 2008, snvv wrote:

You may try the geometry package. Then you may define the page in all
possible ways

From the users' perspective, this is what happens:

1. an article with Document->Page layout set to "US Letter" (and Document->Page
Margins is set to "default") is likely to come out of pdflatex as A4 (unless,
unlike me, you know enough LaTeX configuration stuff to configure pdflatex to
do something different).

2. However, if you set non-default margins, then the geometry package gets
called, and pdflatex will create a "US letter" physical page.

To me, this is a bug or deficiency in LyX: if the user selects "US Letter"
on the page layout selection, LyX should create LaTeX code that does what
the user almost certainly wants: have logical *and* physical pages set to US
Letter.  If there is a real need to allow the user to control both logical
page size and physical page size separately, then maybe a new checkbox could
be added to the "paper size" section of the Page Layout widget.
Please consider filing a bug report about this at bugzilla.lyx.org. That way it
won't be forgotten.

Helge Hafting