Ed,

Although some programs may automatically generate keys, it is advisable (in
my opinion) to create your own keys in order to easily remember what they
refer to. I sometimes use Jabref and I have never been able to get the
program to automatically generate keys for me. If Endnote is your primary
reference manager (perhaps, because you use MS Word more often than Lyx), it
only costs you 15 seconds to type in a key that will allow you to export to
Bibtex format with whenever you want. When you first start, it may take time
to add the missing labels in Endnote; however, after that, you just add a
label when you enter in new references.

I am running Lyx in Windows and I use Endnote as my primary reference
manager for a variety of reasons. Running Lyx in Windows means that it is
impossible to push references from JabRef to Lyx. In other words, I must
choose references through the native Bibtex support menu options. All I see
are Bibtex keys in Lyx to make my reference citation selections.

It seems that the way one chooses to organize things for export from Endnote
to Bibtex format depends on your system configuration and how your have your
materials organized. Respectfully, I do not believe there is one way to
"economically" do it.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Jeremy M. Kritt