On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:22 PM, rgheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeremy M. Kritt wrote:
>
>> My main point was -- If you are using Endnote as your main database, then
>> it
>> might be better to create your own label (=Bibtex key) in Endnote
>> according
>> to a pattern that you can recognize. Hence, my prolific author example in
>> my
>> original post. In the end, however, I think it really depends how you have
>> set things up and your patterns of usage. The problem with automatic key
>> generation, in my opinion, is that it might create a patter that does not
>> make sense for the way you conceptualize your database. Is this not what
>> you
>> are saying?
>>

> JabRef, at least, let's you customize this pattern. There's a simple GUI
> for doing it.
>
> rh

My comment were mainly a response to Ed' s problem. He wrote:

Hi,

Running: Windows XP, EndNote X1
I'm trying to export from EndNote to BibTeX format using their output style
file.

The most recent BibTeX output style can be found here:
http://www.endnote.com/support/enstyledetail.asp?SORT=0&PAGE=3&METH=0&DISC=none&JOUR=none&BSRT=none&FF1=none&FF2=none&FF3=none&CITE=none&DKEY=714200664457JBA

When I import it into LyX I point it to the exported .bib file but when I
try to add a citation there are no records to choose from.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Ed Sykes

One other problem that might be affecting Ed is the encoding of the the .bib
file and the default encoding settings in Jabref. I first had a problem with
this when I first started using Jabref. This could be the reason why nothing
is showing up in Jabref after the export.

   1. There is an option to save the exported file in .txt, .rtf, .htm, or.
   xml format. He should be selecting .txt format. (The file must be renamed
   with the .bib extension.)
   2. The default encoding in Jabref should be set to ASCII format. He can
   check the default encoding settings in Jabref by going to OPTIONS -->
   PREFERENCES --> GENERAL. Default encoding is the last option.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Jeremy M. Kritt