Rich

I think this is a marketing thing, I have been to too many meetings where, the people making the decisions, are impressed by how a report looks more
than what the report says.

Graham,

Yes, there are too many people for whom appearance is more important than
is content. I don't want that type for clients.

I am less fussy ;-) But really, often the people making the decisions aren't really the client, they just get involved at signing off a contract but have nothing to do with the job, you are just making it easy for the real client to get the consultant they want.

I suspect that Lyx will do what I need but, I agree this is a good option,
and I am using Scribus for a newsletter

If you look at The LaTeX Companion, 2nd Ed, you'll find a lot of help in setting up fancy title pages, chapter header pages, running headers and footers, and more. Also, the KOMA and Memoir classes have more flexibility (and capabilities) than do the standard classes. Read the docs on them to
see if either is useful for you.

I have been using The Koma classes for several things as it is meant to be more geared towards European documents. Certainly I found the letter class to work well. I have a couple of books on Latex so I will have a look.

Springer provided their own monograph class so that's what I used for my book.

I regret that we have done both our books for Springer in Word.

A suggestion: when you have a layout that is to be your standard for that type of document, empty a copy and save that as a template. I get lazy and
just rename one file to the new one, then make the appropriate content
changes. It works for me.

Yes, that will be the plan.

Graham