On 26.06.08, Christopher Reeve wrote:
> Sorry I can't help you, although personally I think the spacing looks
> just right. Maybe with your line spacing settings it looks funny? I
> agree thought that LyX does not seem to be very flexible here.

It depends on whether a list should be a separate paragraph or part of the
preceding (or including) paragraph.

In LaTeX, the author can decide this choice by surrounding the list
environment with blank lines or not.

In LyX, there is no such choice, as

* you must start a new paragraph to give it a different layout,
* you cannot nest something in a Standard paragraph.

This becomes an issue with Document>Settings>Text Layout:
Separate Paragraphs with [*] Vertical space,
as then additional vertical space is also inserted around lists.

Things improve a bit if you set this option to [*] Indentation and load
the package parskip in the LaTeX preamble instead. (Of course, you will
miss the feedback in LyX then, but the printout is OK).

> I just wanted to add to your comments the following.

> When you start a "display formula", if you hit return before doing so
> it adds an extra space. If you start the equation but don't hit return
> before no space is added.

> The problem is that in LyX you can't see the difference, so you only
> notice the large gap when you compile the document.

> Bit annoying right?

True.

Günter