Hi, I am writing my thesis using Lyx (Koma-script(Book) layout) and I
have issues with the placement of floats. I find that in some cases,
even if a figure only takes 50-60% of the page, the floats will be put
on a separate page without any text over or below it. This is
especially a problem when multiple floats are inserted one after the
other in Lyx. What I would like is it a more compact document where
floats are placed at the top or botton of pages more often, even if
multiple floats follow each other in the document. I have tried
inserting this in the preamble of the document:

\renewcommand{\bottomfraction}{0.5}
\renewcommand{\topfraction}{0.85}

but that did not seem to solve the problem.

Thank you for any hints that may help me solve this issue.

Guillaume