On Tuesday 19 August 2008 13:16, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> This layout module is simply adding the definitions to the preamble.
> Then, when you type in a formula \erf for instance, it will not be
> interpreted by LyX (unless you use preview-latex stuff). But when
> generating the pdf, they will be correctly interpreted as functions
> (i.e. not in italic, and with a small space afterwards).
> The advantage of having them in a layout module is that you do not have
> to add them in a preamble by hand. Just add the module to the document
> settings, as described in http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/NewInLyX16#toc4 .
>
> Of course if someone has any ideas to provide more functionality, any
> idea is welcome (that's the reason for posting the module).
>
> You can also have layouts that will create text styles or environments,
> and those will appear in some menus automatically. That's how I have
> implemented my "filename" and "code" text styles. See the
> "logicalmkup.module" file for an example or my module below.
> When I add my "customstyles.module" to the document settings, two
> entries appear in the "Edit->Text Style" menu for using them. And when I
> use them, LyX correctly change the text style accordingly. Here it is
> for reference:

> #\DeclareLyXModule{Custom Styles}
> #DescriptionBegin
> #Custom character styles for code, filename.
> #DescriptionEnd
>
> # Author : Olivier Ripoll (based on layout by Martin Vermeer)
>
> Format 7
>
> InsetLayout CharStyle:Filename
>       LyxType               charstyle
>       LabelString           filename
>       LatexType             command
>       LatexName             filename
>       Font
>         Series              Bold
>         Family              Typewriter
>       EndFont
>       Preamble
>       \newcommand{\filename}[1]{\texttt{\textbf{#1}}}
>       EndPreamble
> End
>

> InsetLayout CharStyle:Code
>       LyxType               charstyle
>       LabelString           code
>       LatexType             command
>       LatexName             code
>       Font
>         Family              Typewriter
>       EndFont
>       Preamble
>       \newcommand{\code}[1]{\texttt{#1}}
>       EndPreamble
> End
>
> Note that I am pretty sure you can create shortcuts for accessing the
> styles using what is described on the wiki:
> http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/KeyboardShortcutForCharacterStyles
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier

Ohhhhh,

Maybe I do understand it. Is a layout module just a chunk of debugged
LyX/LaTeX code that would normally go in a layout file, and gets included in
the layout file by reference? So you could mix and match layout modules to
get a more granular modularization, similar to #include in C?

So is it a way to write once, use many times? Is it a way to use
known-debugged LyX/LaTeX code? And is it a way for all of us to trade
debugged and tested code without throwing in every silly little feature we
put in our book?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt