[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Am Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:20:16 +0100
schrieb "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Am Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:55:40 +0100
schrieb "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello,

For a long time I valued LyX for its swiftness when typing. Something changed recently, however and I do not
have an idea what is causing this.

When I type the letters only show up slowly on the screen. This
makes working with LyX really cumbersome.

I assumed this could have something to do with "Auto Completion".
But nothing changed when I switched this feature of.

Version: LyX 1.6.0 (7 November 2008) - compiled binary on Ubuntu
8.10

Any ideas?

Regards,
seacyd
I solved it, however, without knowing what was the original cause.

Here is what I did:

1. removed the lyx ubuntu package 1.5.6 from my system (wajig remove
lyx)

2. installed the same package again (wajig install lyx) - I did want
to test with the old version to see if the slowness also occurs there.

3. I started lyx 1.5.6 everything worked fine & the positive suprise
was, when I started lyx 1.6.0 the so much appreciated responsiveness
of lyx is back.

So maybe when compiling the source code some different
versions of libraries get installed then with the standard Ubuntu
package?

Regards,
seacyd

Unfortunately, this actually did not solve it.

I have found another behaviour that might be relevant for experts to
solve this:

* Large window size of lyx (e.g., full screen or maximized)
 -> LyX is slow

* Make the window minimal (only show a few lines and columns) -> LyX is
  fast

Thus, could it be that the library is overpowering my computer
(Intel 2.80 GHZ  / 1024 RAM)?

I've used LyX on much lower powered machines, without the sort of slowness you're reporting. It may be, though, that there's something else that's straining your graphics subsystem, and this is making LyX slow. What desktop are you using? Have you tried a different one, to see if that solves the problem? Or just run LyX inside some totally minimal X session.

rh