Olivier Ripoll wrote:
Graham Smith wrote:
For 2) what would be needed is a good cross-platform customized pdf reader
with annotations possibilities and a way to link these annotations to the lyx document. I have used for my project Foxit which is not free but works
with Wine on Linux. Foxit has a very bad interface. Sadly annotations
support in poppler is unfinished.

I agree with this option - is there a good one out which could be
used? I know that Acrobat Reade can be used if pdf commenting is
allowed, which can apparently only be enabled through AcrobatWrite. If
there would be an alternative way of enabling the commenting in the
document for AcrobatReader, that would be, in most cases, a usable
solution
Using PDF as a sharing format seems a good idea as this will be something most people will be familiar with.

I have had no success in getting people to collaborate using anything other than Word or PDFs (With the exception of the company that I am a Director in, where we now use Lyx for reports where we collaborate internally, but have to fall back to Word for external collaborations)

This open source project is meant to enable commenting in PDFs (its Windows only and needs Net 2.0) but may provide the tools for the clever Lyx programmers to do this for Lyx

http://sourceforge.net/projects/arenable/

I have searched and searched for a tool, other than Adobe Acrobat Professional, to enable commenting on PDFs and this was all I could come up with.

Under Windows, you can use Foxit reader (free, not Free) to annotate your pdf documents. The Free version will add some red text, but who cares when working on a temporary document. If you cannot live with the added marks, you may print the pdf to a pdf printer (such as PDFCreator, not the Foxit one, the one of www.pdfforge.or ). You get a clean pdf then, although you lose some of the nice pdf stuff.

I guess it should work fine under Wine.
There is also another useful PDF-Viewer with annotation capabilities PDF-XChange Viewer: http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer.

It could then maybe be possible to develop using PDF as the Lyx collaborative format using PDF compare/merge tools (which already exist, I think) before converting back to Lyx.

For commenting on PDFs at the moment I use http://www.qoppa.com/psindex.html as it runs on Linux, Macs and Windows, but its a commercial program.

Graham

Best regards,

Olivier