Pierre

It could then maybe be possible to develop using PDF as the Lyx collaborative format using PDF compare/merge tools (which already exist, I think) before converting back to Lyx.

For commenting on PDFs at the moment I use http://www.qoppa.com/psindex.html as it runs on Linux, Macs and Windows, but its a commercial program.

I'm not sure to have understood this. Which compare/merge tools are you referring?

Adobe Acrobat is the obvious one, either through its professional offerings or using Buzzword http://www.adobe.com/acom/buzzword/?promoid=DZGRK

but there are also other line options like Rosebud http://www.rosebudplm.com/key_features.php

Or http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp3.htm#overview which says it will compare and merge PDFs

When I have been searching around for options to enable the comments feature, I have come across, what seems like, dozens of options for document management, and collaboration once you get the document into PDF. Its getting it back into Lyx that is the problem.

And while I haven't looked at any in detail (hence the "I think" in my post) at what they all offer, it just seems this could be a route worth investigating.
Graham