My PhD is 190-ish pages in English, with tables, algorithms, figures,
and a nice juicy bibliography. I have it divided into 8 included child
documents (basically one per chapter), some of which are broken up
logically into a few input child documents.

DVI generation takes around 50 seconds, but most days I only run that a
few times, so it's not a problem.

Splitting also makes version control a little easier, too.

One more tip: create subdirectories for your embedded figures. I didn't
and I wish I had (but I'm not spending the time to re-organise now that
it's finished)

A satisfied LyX-user,

        Cameron.