Cameron Stone wrote:
My PhD is 190-ish pages in English, with tables, algorithms, figures,
and a nice juicy bibliography. I have it divided into 8 included child
documents (basically one per chapter), some of which are broken up
logically into a few input child documents.

Same size here, but all in a single document in 1.5.7, no problems either (but you rely a lot on the Navigator, which works really well in 1.6).

DVI generation takes around 50 seconds, but most days I only run that a
few times, so it's not a problem.

First-time PDF generation takes about 30s on a core2duo, but most time is spent in converting images - insert the images in a format that matches your latex processor!

Note that if you compile into the full document it does not matter if you split the source files or not.

Being able to compile single sub-documents in a good way needs some extra work (in respect to bibliography, etc).

Splitting also makes version control a little easier, too.

Works fine for me on the big document, too.

One more tip: create subdirectories for your embedded figures. I didn't
and I wish I had (but I'm not spending the time to re-organise now that
it's finished)

Indeed. Same here.

A satisfied LyX-user,

Very much the same here!

Piero Faustini wrote:
Hello fellow LyX users,
I have to take a decision: wether to split my doctoral thesis in different files or not. Some people told me a thesis is HUGE and I should split the file into chapters or parts, but I'm afraid that something goes wrong at any time during the writing.

I think it's a matter of taste. Both has been done hundreds of times, both works reliably.

Good luck with your writing!
/Konrad