Piero Faustini wrote:
Hello fellow LyX users,
I have to take a decision: wether to split my doctoral thesis in different files or not. Some people told me a thesis is HUGE and I should split the file into chapters or parts, but I'm afraid that something goes wrong at any time during the writing.

Don't be, LyX works just fine with a thousand page document. IMHO, the decision to split depends on two factors:

1) you're the kind that preview often and you want the preview to be fast
2) some contents are shared between two master documents (ex: articles)

If you are not in one of those two cases, I'd suggest to stay with one big document because it's simpler to manage. Just remember to backup often or better, use a source control system (git is great for local purpose).

Abdel.