Murat Yildizoglu wrote:
Just my two cents: Scientific Word was used to come with a utility
called Document Manager. It was able to pack everything in a .msg
file. The utility has a GUI that gives you options for choosing the
elements to include for the packing and other options during
unpacking.  I think that we were even allowed to distribute it to the
collaborators with whom we share files. I do not know if such a
solution would be sufficient and enough secure... Also, it worked only
for Windows, we would definitely need a cross-platform tool for LyX of
course. But, such a tool would definitely be useful.

I'll second what a few others have said: A version control system is really the way to go for collaboration. You get easy exchanges, easy updating, conflict management, plus you get versioned archving of everything you do. There are plenty of free hosting services for this kind of thing, if you don't already have access to some server or other.

Richard