Having located the area where the error occurs I have found two ways of solving
the problem. In the LyX master file the content comes in the following order:

1) -> a (possibly corrupted) .tiff image inserted in a figure.
2) -> page break
3) -> section
4) -> Input: child.lyx

If I either choose to remove the image 1) OR remove the following pagebreak 2),
the child document gets updated correctly. It would make sense if it only
helped to remove the image but actually it also solves the problem to remove
the pagebreak.

I had a LyX crash where I got the following info:

convert:
C:/Users/bob/AppData/Local/Temp/lyx_tmpdir.p18708/gconvert0.q18708.tif: unknown
field with tag 37724 (0x935c) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory' @
tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/526.

Where I assume that 'convert' is an ImageMagic function. Maybe this could shed
some light on whats is going on?

I have a problem using child documents in a LyX document. When I compile from
the child documents the PDF is not always updated.

I have tried installing the latest version of LyX: LyX 1.6.2 released. (Mar 15,
2009)  but I still get the same error. Here is what I do:

1) Open the master document
2) Compile the master document using:
      master-buffer-update pdf2
3) Preview the master document using (which opens a preview PDF in Sumatra PDF):
      buffer-view pdf2
4) Open a child document, add some text and from the child document run the
compile command:
      master-buffer-update pdf2

After 4) I don't see the new text in the PDF previewer (sumatra PDF). I have
tried going back to the master document and run:

      master-buffer-update pdf2

but the pdf preview is still not updated.

Sometimes  (ONLY sometimes) the changes in the child document appears if I
create a new line in the master document and then compile it (the new line must
be inserted at a new position each time). Otherwise I have to close and reopen
LyX and then compile again to see the changes.

I have written many projects (60-80 pages typically) before using many child
documents using the above procedure without any problems. This error is
especially frustrating since it only appears sometimes and only sometimes can
be solved inserting a new line in the master document.

Any ideas why LyX suddenly stops working with child documents?

I use LyX on Vista64