But why, is it related to ImageMagic?

Is it possible to run a debugger on the .lyx file to locate this kind
of error in the future?

I only got the information by coincidence when LyX crashed. It could
be very nice to be able to debug a .lyx file since I have no idea
where in the LyX file to look (LyX don't report that anything is wrong
unless it crashes it seems).