Thomas Løcke schrieb:

But before I start writing, I'd like to ask if there are any good
resources on using LyX for writing what is essentially a book on
programming.

I recommend that you work yourself through LyX's Intro _and_ Tutorial manual, that you find in LyX's Help menu, before you start writing. A look at chapter 6 of the UserGuide will also help because there the book-specific tasks like Indexing are described.

The UserGuide, the Math, and the EmbeddedObjects manual can also be taken as example because they are written to be a printable book in the PDF output.

regards Uwe