On Fri, 1 May 2009, Thomas L?cke wrote:

I'm currently working my way through the tutorial and the user's guide,
and already I'm impressed at how nice output looks. I can't quite put my
finger on what it is, but there's definitely something slick about it.

  Word processors work with each line as a formatting unit. TeX uses the
paragraph and the page as units for formatting. We are used to seeing
typeset output in published books and magazines so we unconsiously register
the appearance of the entire page.

  If you want to see the differences very clearly, print one page of text
using your favorite word processor, then the same text using LyX. When seen
side-by-side the differences are immediately obvious.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean: If I don't use any of the
styles of a document class, why use the class in the first place? Or am I
missing something?

  When you select a document class it provides all the typographic styles
you need ... unless there's something specific and non-standard. The layout
of an article is different from that of a report, and both are different
from that of a book.

Rich