Thanks again.  I got mixed results but ultimately successful.  I tried
making the changes you suggested, reconfigured, restarted and I got the same
error.  I then downloaded the file you included and it worked.  When I
opened your file in notepad to see what was different I noticed that yours
showed the formatting characters.  For example where there should be line
returns there were boxes and the next word didn't start on the next line.  I
wonder if notepad was putting control characters in that were causing the
error.

I'd also like to understand why that fixed my problem.  From my
understanding the arguments in the [ ] are the necessary classes and the { }
is what is displayed in LyX.  Inside my msuthesis.cls there is a line

\LoadClass[letterpaper,12pt,oneside,onecolumn,openany,final,titlepage]{book}

so I thought it was derived from the book class and thus needed the
[msuthesis,book].  This is almost exactly the case in 5.2.4.  Did I
misunderstand the help file?  Thanks again for all your help.  It's much
appreciated.

Danny