Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

I see now that my example was too simplistic but I'm still having the same
problem.  I'm actually trying to do what is in 5.2.4 and my layout file is
msuthesis.layout and is save in C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX
1.6.3\Resources\layouts

I took the book.layout and changed the \Declare line to include the
msuthesis.cls and to report the name to LyX as msuthesis.  I also added the
Preamble as described in 5.2.3.  I wasn't sure that I needed that with a
class so I tried it with and without the Preable. I still get the same
errors I described earlier.  Also, I've checked to make sure MikTeX has
msuthesis.cls by compiling the example document from the command line.  It
created the .ps file correctly.  My layout file is below.

#% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this
#  \DeclareLaTeXClass[msuthesis,book]{msuthesis}
# Book textclass definition file. Taken from initial LyX source code
# Author : Matthias Ettrich <ettr...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
# Transposed by Pascal André <an...@via.ecp.fr>
# Heavily modifed and enhanced by serveral developers.

Format 11
Input stdclass.inc
Input numreport.inc

Sides           2