Steve Litt wrote:

> Is there a way I could, using Ubuntu's package manager,
> upgrade to 1.6.3 or better? I just want to avoid having to compile -- so far
> every single thing but djbdns, VimOutliner and UMENU were installed via the
> package manager, and I'd like to keep it that pure if possible.

Steve,

no need to compile here ;-). ".deb" packages are compiled stuff for
debian-based linux distris.

Especially the "getdeb" site [*] is dedicated to bring faster
ready-to-use packages for Ubuntu-Linux (because usually it takes some
time before new versions of applications land on the official
repositories -- that also means that those packages are not tested).

So, all you have to do to get LyX 1.6.3 for Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit is a
few clicks to download the ".deb's" [1][2], give your password and click
Install each time. Most of it is self-explainable :-).

If you find that the ".deb" you have installed isn't doing what it
should do, you can always remove it the "normal" way, that is using the
package manager Synaptic - gui or from the command line.

All the best, Nikos
---

[*] http://www.getdeb.net

for Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit:
[1] http://www.getdeb.net/download/4584/1
[2] http://www.getdeb.net/download/4584/0

If you have another version of Ubuntu, then click at
http://www.getdeb.net/distro_select.php and select accordingly. Probably
there is a ".deb" package for all Ubuntu versions.